Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How they got here... Graydon's story

Since Cameron came so fast and totally caught me off guard, I wanted to be prepared with this one. I was ready from end of April on... at my 36 week appt, I was told I was 2 centimeters dialated, 80% effaced and the head was in the 2 station. I had had contractions throughout much of this pregnancy including that week. So all weekend we were ready, thought any day might be it.... all... week...long... Went in for another check up, 2cm 80% effaced, head's gone back up? WHAT!? Felt awful all day, went in to the hospital that night with contractions. Having contractions every 7 minutes, one lasted over 8 minutes long, but they are sending me home. The nurse told me even though Cameron's contractions were mild, not to come back until they were so bad I could not walk through one. On Friday, at my 39 week appt I was 3cm but still not in labor. I set my next appointment on my due date Wednesday, June 16th to discuss signing up for an induction. I felt awful all weekend with contractions etc. Monday June 14th we had planned to run some errands and while out doing that I felt some strong contractions but they weren't consistent at all. I would go for hours not having one, then have a few. Finally at 8pm I was telling Pete I think my water might have broken, I had a really strong contraction. I called my mom to come help with Cameron, but told her not to hurry it's probably not really labor. We put Cameron down and got ready to go. My mom showed up around 9:15 and by then I was having a contraction every 5-7 minutes and they were strong. Pete was busy showing Morgan how to work our Netflix and Mom said "umm I think you better go"

The entire 30 minute drive to the hospital, we hit every red light and got behind every slow person and it was getting serious. Pete was speeding and I was doing my best not to swear. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot we had to wait for a really slow couple to pass, Pete had already planned on dropping me off at the curb so I could check in while he parked and when he did I stumbled out mid-contraction and cut right in front of the slow couple. There was no way she was in labor as much as I was. They checked both of us in at 10pm and I was at 7cm, she was being sent home.

I was trying to go without an epidural this time since Cameron's was so mild, but these contractions were violent! After waiting way too long I told them I wanted one and the anesthesiologist was the within seconds. It was so tricky staying still during the contractions but afterwards he offered a prayer and then I thanked him like a million times... "thank you for coming so quickly"... "thank you so much"... "thank you for going to school for so long"... "thank you"... I will never try to go without an epidural again. I could have delivered soon after that but it was 11:20 and we wanted to wait until after midnight so both boys would be born on the 15th.

Just before 12, my water broke the rest of the way and they came in, he was ready. I pushed for 10 minutes about 4 times and he was here. The doctor started laughing and said "I hope you don't have too many newborn clothes!" (which I had bought some in preparation of him coming as early as Cameron did) I didn't get it at first but then they weighed him and he was 9lbs 3oz. I was like WHAT!? I couldn't believe I had done it! He was beautiful but his faced was bruised from coming down so fast. We didn't get into our room until 3:30am but by the next day I was already dying to get home. No jaundice for Gray and at his first appointment he was 9lbs but within a week he had gained 14 oz. Cameron wasn't this big until he was 2 months old!

No comments: